Staff Accountant – Client Accounting
Kerr Financial Group is looking for an organized, detailed, self-motivated individual to work as a Staff Accountant – in our client accounting Toronto team.
Kerr Financial provides integrated wealth management services to high net worth families in Canada. We combine the services of our investment management team with accounting, tax and estate planning to support families with all of the wealth management services they need to optimize their financial resources. We prepare an overall portfolio strategy and investment statement for our client families. In implementing the policy, we take a multi-manager approach in working with a preferred list of the top investment managers in Canada and internationally.
The unique elements of our investment offering include our multi-manager portfolio approach and integrated delivery of tax, financial planning, and investment services. Through Kerr Financial Advisors, we focus on clients holding $1M to $20 Million of liquid assets under management. We also have a separate division, Kerr Family Office, which supports families ranging from $20M to $200M assets under management.
Our Staff Accountants have a strong client service focus, an ability to work as effective team members and possess excellent technical, oral and written communication skills.
As Staff Accountant – Client Accounting division, you will provide accounting and tax services in a timely manner to our accounting clients, which consists mostly of investment holding companies, consulting and other small operating companies and trusts.
• Notice to Reader file preparation using Write Up and Caseware for investment holding companies, small Canadian operating companies, trusts and charitable foundations, including review of general ledgers, preparation of reconciliation reports and preparation of journal entries and working papers
• Preparation of Notice to Reader financial statements and note disclosures
• Preparation of T2 corporation tax returns using TaxPrep including calculation of Capital Dividend Account (CDA) balances, General Rate Income Pool (GRIP) Balances and Refundable Dividend Tax on Hand (RDTOH) balances
• Preparation of T3 inter vivos trust and estate tax returns using TaxPrep
• Preparation of T3010 Charity Returns
• Preparation of T1135 foreign income verification disclosures
• Preparation of GST and HST returns
• Preparation of paralegal corporation minutes and resolutions
• Preparation and filing of T4 summary and supplementary forms including payroll calculations, records of employment and remittance of at source deductions
• Preparations for T5 filings
• Calculation of tax estimates and annual tax instalments and coordination of remittances to respective governments
• Preparation of T1 personal income tax returns
• Review of Notices of Assessment and response to government Requests for Information (RFI)
• Communication with clients, brokers, CRA with respect to preparing or gathering information and concerning remittances, instalments, progress of files, inquiries
• Arranging cheques with IM department
• Taking part in some client meetings
• Completion of worksheets to support personal US income tax return preparation and 8840 Closer Connection forms
• Strong working knowledge of Canadian generally accepted accounting principles.
• Proven ability to analyze problems and prepare effective written and oral reports; communicate clearly and concisely with clients;
• Capable of analyzing and resolving complex accounting issues of a broad scope using independent judgment
• Proficient with Microsoft Excel (VLOOKUP), Word, and Outlook.
• Experienced with a variety of accounting and tax software applications – ie: Caseware and Caseview, Write-Up, Taxprep (Corporate, Trust and Personal), Quickbooks and Quicken.
• Self-starter and team player, able to work independently and collaboratively with various teams in a deadline-focused environment
• Comprehensive oral and written communication skills
• Excellent interpersonal skills
• Strong organizational skills with a proven ability to handles multiple priorities and manage projects to timely conclusion
Education and Experience
• Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field; Post grad Accounting designation an asset
• A minimum experience of 2 years in full accounting cycle;
• Public accounting experience including the preparation of personal/corporate tax returns and the compilation of Financial Statements
Commensurate with experience
Interested applicants, please email your resume to HR@kerrfinancial.ca
We thank all applicants however, due to volume, only those moving forward in the recruitment process will be contacted for this position. All resumes are retained and treated confidentially for consideration against future opportunities.